Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Meltdown, Tandoori and Breakfast

This Sunday was the first long ride on the Spyder with both of us on the bike. It went well. That is until the bike lost all power, dash turned orange and displayed the message limp home mode. I pulled over and shut it off for 20 seconds. Restart and all was fine. Throwing caution to the wind we continued to Ft. Collins. Got the anniversary pearl necklace and three jars of Tandoori mix. The return trip was uneventful and my back was in good shape. Then on Sunday we decided to press our luck even further and rode to Estes Park with the neighbors for brunch buffet. I've been looking for a good buffet for a couple years. Again things went well until the trip back. A single idiot light indicated it was unhappy but all the gauges show everything is within tolerance. Now I am trying to figure out how to get the bike to Denver to have someone look at it. But first I need to stop for gas. When I pull in under the awning I can now see the idiot light is indicating low fuel. What do you know? I burned up an entire tank in a single weekend. It has been so long since I have gone that far that I just didn't expect it. My back has survived the weekend. Any short comings the Spyder has are forgiven.

I have discovered that the passenger has as much effect on the Spyder as on a two wheeled motorcycle. I would get my weight positioned for a corner then Marilyn thought she would help and shift her weight. This unsettled things and I had to readjust. Seeing me struggle she would lean even farther which in turn would make things even worse. I explained the situation at the next stop. Once she stopped trying to help me and just sat still I was able to corner much better. It still feels weird that the bike does not lean into a corner but I suspect that once I get used to it I should be able to corner quite quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment