Friday, June 25, 2010

Aquisition

Sometime in April 2010 I went to Denver to look at the Spyder RT (touring version). They had no demo bike but I was able to ride an RS (sport version). It seemed to be OK on my back and I hoped that the RT would be better with its more upright seating position. The next weekend I returned ready to buy only to find out that they were sold out. But for $1000USD I could put my name on a waiting list. Irritated at the cost I did and so began the wait. I periodically called for status but never got anything encouraging. After two months they told me that they expected the bike for list position #1. I, being #2, would be next in line. What's more, the owner of the shop was going to meet with the Can-Am CEO in Las Vegas. After the meeting they were still unable to provide any answers. But they did suggest that it might help to contact other dealers around the country. I assumed this was what they had been doing. On the afternoon of Friday 6/18/10 I called the Can-Am dealer in Durango, CO. Turns out they had exactly the bike I was looking for.

New plan for the weekend. We drove 125 miles to Fairplay that Friday night and got the ATV trailer from the cabin. Saturday we drove 250 miles to Durango. They had us in and out in an hour. So it was 250 miles back to Fairplay where we spent the night. Sunday, the remaining 125 miles back to Longmont. Almost 48 hours and 750 miles later I had a Can-Am Spyder RTS. At one point I went to get something from the truck and Newt looked at me as if to say, "I'll bite you if you make me get back in that truck".

About 9:30pm I couldn't stand it so I went for a ride. It was only about 10 miles but it did my soul good to be riding again. I had very little back pain, which was very encouraging. This crazy experiment just might work.

I'll post pictures soon.

1 comment: